Monday, October 13, 2008

Trapunto


Elective art classes in college were great – Edinboro University of Pennsylvania was known for having a large art department. My undergraduate work was in art education; my MFA work in weaving and textile design.

During my education I was introduced to Trapunto. In Italian, the word means “to embroider.” Traditionally used by quilters, this technique originated around the fourteenth century – possibly in Sicily. The concept spread throughout Europe and made its way to this country by immigrants.

In school, I was taught that stitching through two layers of fabric was the first step in achieving the design. This created a double layer part of which could act as a pocket. One would make a small cut in the back fabric, use it to stuff fiber into the “pocket” then sew it closed.

Today, I can embroider two layers of fabric at once on my computerized embroidery machine and then, using a hollow needle threaded with a large spool of cotton thread, I can use an air compressor to basically blow fiber inside the pocket. Muslin is generally used for the backing of my more decorative front fabric.

Here is a chair back that I have digitized using bean stitch and satin stitches. I selected areas for the filling based on size and impact. Because the chair back is highly detailed, the relief is more subtle.

The effect is lovely – I’ve not only used it for pillows and chair backs but have also used it for borders on curtains and roman shades for interior designer Kim Alexandriuk.

1 comment:

  1. Hello from Erie.
    Your embroidery is remarkable.
    Gary


    Gary & Annette DeAngio
    The Embroidery Shoppe
    561 W31st Street
    Erie, PA 16508
    877 - 454-6038
    Visit our web site at www.embshoppe.com

    ReplyDelete