Friday, November 28, 2008

Custom Embroidered Louis XVI Chair in Rose Tarlow-Melrose House Linen


Practically a year ago, I purchased this chair from my friend and antiquarian Nathan Turner, whose charming shop is part of a compound of resources which includes Claremont Furnishing Fabrics, Hollywood at Home by Peter Dunham and Lucas Studio. This is all located next to Lief at Almont Drive and Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, just around the corner from the Pacific Design Center.

I spent the better part of the year trying to find the perfect fabric to work with the lovely green-gray painted finish. The finish wasn’t original but it was a beautiful old finish with good shading in a historic color. My upholsterer, Roger Chopinet, tells me that the chair is a early-mid 1800’s reproduction of a Louis XVI chair.

During that time, I purchased some “Scala Damask” linen from Rose Tarlow – Melrose House in Wheat and proceeded to do a mad outline combination of cording and chain stitch. Originally conceived as pillow fronts, I did my usual thing and draped both pieces on the chair and I decided it was an inspired mix. So off it went to the upholstery workroom after trim from Samuel & Sons and antique bronze nailheads were selected and here it is.

Clicking on the photo will take you to an enlargement that will give you a good look at the cording and the chain-stitch. The pattern is generally speaking very subtle, but my outlines bring an entirely new dimension to this lovely textile.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful-Could you do a lumbar pillow in this fabric?

    ReplyDelete