Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Embroidered Silk Velvet Fortuny Inspired Pillows


Mariano Fortuny was greatly inspired by historic textiles. Looking through the fabric boards at the Fortuny showroom in the D&D Building is in many ways a history lesson. Some of my favorite patterns are Renaissance style and one merely has to run a little bit across town to see original versions from the Renaissance at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was about this time last year that I made that trip; New York always leaves me with so many exciting images.

The pillows above are two that I just completed and shipped for Ann Holden of Holden & Dupuy of New Orleans. These pillows are 14” x 26” and are on rich silk velvet. The color is a muted deep gray-violet and the embroidery utilizes a cord outline of gray-blue threads then shading is added in a rayon chain-stitch that is a little darker than the silk velvet. On top of that – icing on the cake – is an extra chain stitch of antique bronze metallic.

The effect is ultimately soft, elegant and rich. With these pillows I think I pay appropriate homage to the master, Mariano Fortuny and to his inspiration as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment