Saturday, December 13, 2008

Fleur Arabesque Pillows In Satin Stitch On Silk


Arabesque imagery has always been intriguing to me and I find the complex images to be quite appropriate for interiors here in Southern California. There are many Mediterranean style homes that were built in the 20’s and 30’s that have wonderful old world charm and beautiful beam and tile accents. There are many books that feature these homes including architect Marc Appleton of Appleton & Associates “California Mediterranean" with Melba Levick and “California Romantica” by actress Diane Keaton who has long been a great enthusiast in architecture and interior design.

This pattern is historic. You have undoubtedly seen it used in numerous ways by many people over the years. I decided to recreate it in thread. I asked my excellent digitizing associate Jerilee Auclair of Blackeagle Designs to give her time to this project and she rewarded me with the most beautiful image.

The design consists of more than 170,000 stitches for a pillow that is 10” x 20” in size. The silk I used is from Prelle, which I purchased in NY. It is woven in Lyon, France. I call it Fleur Arabesque because of the multitude of flowers that create this beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment