Friday, January 2, 2009

Suzani Inspired Custom Pillows


Some time ago, I purchased the most beautiful damaged antique Suzani (by clicking on the the word Suzani you will be directed to the website of Marla Mallett which has history and wonderful examples of the embroidery) on eBay. It has the most beautifully articulated embroidered images decorating the silk ground. The colors are brilliant and I have used it for inspiration many times.

The pillows above are just one example of the results of that inspiration. It also was the basis for curtains I made for designer Katie Leede of Digs By Katie. The Suzani images became the leading edges and hem return for a residence in Santa Monica. The work was chain stitch outlines and fill and the colors were brilliant on raw silk. The pillows above are a design I created using my digitizing software for my computerized embroidery machine. The fabric is from Old World Weavers and the trim is from Décor de Paris. The pillows measure 20” x 20” and are filled with down and feather. Click on the photo above for a close up view of the pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment