Friday, February 27, 2009

Color Changes And Pattern Character

I love seeing the effects of color changes on patterns. It can be huge; just as the color and texture of fabric ground can also have wonderful effects on the character of a design and in this case pillows.

Above you see a pair of boxed pillows with an overall design done by computerized embroidery in two colors. It is based on a pattern I found in an old reference book. I love the complicated yet primitive quality of the design which is reminiscent of some of the patterns from Suzani designs. The fabric used above is from Rogers & Goffigon and is a lovely linen fabric. I used a slim flat flange to accentuate the seams of these pillows.

A different version of the same pattern is below. Using the same format of a boxed pillow but with no flange I did the same pattern in one color below. The fabric is a rich deep brown velvet from Joseph Noble Textiles. The thread color was selected to match the color of the fabric and the flatness of the embroidery provides a beautiful relief on the pile of the velvet, giving them a very elegant look.
I have been toying with the idea of turning this pattern into a curtain leading edge pattern - so perhaps one day soon you will see it reconfigured and mirror imaged. I'll keep you posted on that process should it happen.

2 comments:

  1. Michael,

    The pattern and colors are beautiful choices. Both colorways achieve a sense of historical elegance while remaining contemporary. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Parker - I'm a big fan of historical references. I look at a great volume of reference material of all kinds for inspiration. There are so many beautiful examples in history...
    M.

    ReplyDelete