Friday, May 8, 2009

Mallorcan Ikats

Every now and then I have searched for Mallorcan Ikats. Years ago, I used to sell them at Mimi London. Since then, I have lost contact with the representatives and have had a very difficult time finding any trace of these beautiful hand woven fabrics.


A few weeks ago, I was in Suzanne Rheinstein's Hollyhock - delivering some pillow fronts I embroidered for an event on La Cienega Blvd. During my visit, I spied one of the ikats used for two kidney pillows on a bed. Grabbing the pillow, I asked Suzanne where in the world she acquired the fabric. She proceeded to give me instructions on finding it beginning with ...."first you have to book a flight to Mallorca." That said, she did give me some very helpful tips that allowed me to improve my google search and now, as of yesterday, I have wired funds and will soon have some of this wonderful fabric.

My communication began with Angel Juncosa, who sells the fabric in her showroom. She provided me with photos which you see with this blog. I intend to embroider on these fabrics - using images that compliment the color and texture of the fabric - probably with Suzani style images.

Angel informed me that the techniques used in creating these fabrics are closely guarded by the families that weave them on the island; she says there are only 3 now producing these goods. It is a shame that so many of our traditions are falling away from us. But for now, I will value this source and hope that the fabric is available for years and years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Love the center pattern. Do you sell this fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't - but you can contact the woman that does by clicking on her highlighted name or you can get it through the Michael Smith Showroom "Jasper" in Los Angeles. I've seen it in his showroom as well. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete