Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Around The World

One of the best things about writing a blog is seeing reports viewable through my account on Google. Each time I look at the visitor overview map - it is as if I am suddenly a part of a world community that is connected through embroidery and interior design.

This morning my map told me that someone in Venice, Italy was looking at my blog - and there is someone in London who spends time on them too. I miss Italy, and I have never been to England. I have longed to see the architecture in Glasgow and have admired the works of Charles Renie Mackintosh for years and to see someone in that fine city looking at my blog is an instant thrill for me. India, France, Sweden, Belgium, Turkey, Mexico, Argentina, China, Russia to name a few - so many countries I feel connected to in a way I could never have felt before. And of course, all my friends in the United States that take the time to look at my work are greatly appreciated.

The influence of different cultures around the globe have been a great influence in my work. The top photo is from a famous arabesque document. The second is of hand beaded antique Fortuny pillows - fabric from Venice. The third is a detail of some hand embroidery that I did on a Claremont Fabric which became the basis of additional panels I had over-embroidered in India. There is always so much work to be done that it is difficult to find the time to travel these days. Having a new puppy also distracts me from that thought as well but the connections I feel to the world through this Internet life brings a connection that for now keeps me satisfied. Thanks for taking the time to look at the blog - please don't hesitate to drop me a line at Michael@VillaSavoiaInc.com or leave a comment. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,
    I think I may be one of the tiny red dots from India ... love your line of work ... its as if I can almost smell your passion for your work :)
    In India we grow up with embroidery ... as part of our lives ... to the point of ignoring it at times ... but it is a whole different experience to look at it as a designer and then from the perspective of a connoisseur like you ...
    I now have you on my blogroll ... so I get to see your latest everymorning ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Michael,
    I'm probably one of the tiny red dots from the Southwest, USA. I belong to the Society of Creative Anachronism and come to find inspiration for medieval costumes, particularly from the mid 1500's. I love your outline designs the most. They are simply elegant! Thanks for the eye candy! ;)

    ReplyDelete