Friday, January 1, 2010

Charles Rennie Mackintosh


From the papers of Mackintosh:

The props of art are - on the one hand - the slavish imitation of old work - no matter what date or from what country - and on the other hand the absurd and false idea - that there can be any living emotion expressed in work scientifically proportioned according to ancient principals - but clothed in the thin fantasy of the authors own fancy. The artists motto should be I care not the least for theories for this or that dogma - so far as the practice of art is concerned - but take my stand on what I myself consider my personal ideal - and I am sure that no one of any gifts of reasoning will question the value of higher ideas - a strong conviction.

This quote resonates with me as I move towards creating embroidery patterns for the new year. I have spent the past few months reorganizing my samples and my office. I've painted walls removing the dark brown color replacing them with a lively color from Farrow and Ball called Oval Room Blue. It is a breath of fresh air for me and has brightened the place beautifully. Last year I gave 15 pillows from my showroom stock to Divine Design to raise money for Project Angelfood. I felt the need to clean house and the opportunity of donating them to raise money suited me. I've been designing new pillows for the shelves and new curtain borders as well.

In the next few weeks I will be sending out a new direct mail piece that is the first of a series designed by Alexander Irvine who will also be reworking my website later this year. If you would like to be added to my mailing list, please email me at Michael@VillaSavoiaInc.com.

I wish you a very happy, healthy and successful new year - I like the sound and look of 2010 and will embrace all the possibilities a new day has to offer.

Best regards,
Michael

Quote and photo from "Charles Rennie Mackintosh the Architectural Papers edited by Pamela Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment