Tuesday, February 16, 2010

La Maison Leleu

I am a lover of books. I can't seem to own enough books. My library pages probably have at least 3 lifetimes of inspiration. The contents vary with information spanning centuries. Among my most recent passion is 20th century decorative arts; specifically, French decorative arts and fashion. It is a shame that I do not speak French as many of my books are in French and I have to restrict my appreciation to wonderful photos and my vague understanding of words I somewhat recognize.

The history of La Maison Leleu is the topic of Leleu by Francoise Siriex. It is a richly illustrated book showing the work of the family...I am especially attracted to the embroidered upholstery, wonderful rug designs and curtain embroidery of Paule Leleu.


The embroidered border above is my own interpretation of the style - it is based on a leading edge of a curtain in an interior from 1957. My border is sewn using my Tajima Neo2, digitized using my Pulse software. The repeat is 23" and uses three types of stitches, some layered for an iridescent effect. There is a joy about this work - much like the work of the 50's with it's international flavor and it's modern primitive point of view.

2 comments:

  1. Your work is beautiful! I am very intriqued by this design. It reminds me of Native American designs and symbols. I am so inspired by your work and it's flawlessness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie,
    I appreciate your comment! I really need to post more - I've been busy with production for months now. Have a good weekend!
    M.

    ReplyDelete