Saturday, June 12, 2010

Villa Savoia Custom Embroidery In Architectural Digest

My July 2010 issue of Architectural Digest arrived with a residence designed by Ann Holden of Holden & Dupuy. A redesign by the original architect, Ken Tate, the home is classically elegant with French accents with a "contemporary, sleek look look throughout."

I recognize some of the beautiful Jean Michel Frank reproduction furniture - such as the two arm chairs like those famously once in the Rockefeller New York residence designed by Jean Michel Frank in 1937 near the fireplace; the sofas and the vellum cocktail table - most likely recreated by Mattaliano Furniture, a line I sold while I worked at Mimi London Inc. years ago.

The beautiful photograph by Jeff Herr shows everything with a yellowish cast which isn't the way the photos look on his website. Please follow the link and view his interiors portfolio for a better impression of the colors in the room. I documented the curtain panels in this photo taken prior to shipping.

The embroidery consists of hand-guided cording using a tonal palette of coordinated threads along with chain stitch as a textural shadow. The design is about 13" wide.

Ann Holden is a great talent. She has a style that blends sophistication and elegance while keeping the interior available for every day use. Thanks Ann, for your continued use of my embroidery - it is much appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Ann Holden is in my top 3 favorite designers of all time!! I had the chance to meet her once and was completely starstruck. The work that you did for her is absolutely spectacular!!!! I love seeing all of the ways you are able to enhance gorgeous fabrics to make them so dimensional and alive.

    xoxo,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! Thanks for sharing such an wonderful information ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long time reader, first time poster ----- keep up these nice posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is some beautiful work here.

    I just wish I could afford to make my rooms look like this!!!

    ReplyDelete